Sunday, January 31, 2016

Beating the Winter Doldrums in London

Winter in London isn't very cold, from a Canadian perspective. 

Temperatures rarely go below freezing in the city. 

But, with a latitude of 51 degrees north, it means that in the winter the days are very short and the nights are very long. 


In the morning, it can be close to 8:00am before twilight peaks out. 

And on dull and dreary days, it can seem to be dusk well before 4:00pm. 

There were a couple of days in December when I would be out and about, and I would think that I would need to rush home to cook super (huh?) and get ready for bed. 




Then, I would look at my watch, and it was 3:15pm! WHAT!?!?!??! 

Siiiiiiiiiiiiigh. For me, the short winter days in London are not easy.








To beat the winter doldrums, in 2016 London started a new tradition with the launch of a 4 day festival called "Lumiere".






In 4 locations throughout London, the city came alive with light displays to break up the long dark nights.






I guess I was not the only one that had been suffering from the winter doldrums.

No comments:

Post a Comment